Winter isn’t too far off, and it’s during this time of year that people really begin thinking about their heating bills. They also often spend time trying to find ways to save money on those energy bills throughout the Winter season. Fortunately, there are hundreds of little things you can do to shave dollars off your energy bills during the heating season without sacrificing comfort or warmth. Cool Air Sam suggests the following to save energy and money this Winter:
- Homes usually lose most of their heat because of air leaks and drafts. Take simple, affordable steps to save up to 20% on costs such as sealing leaks around chimneys and recessed lighting, using draft guards under your doors, sticking weather-stripping tape around your doors and their frames, and caulking windows. You can also put up clear plastic film over windows to stop cold drafts in its tracks from entering your home. You might be surprised at how much cold air was coming in (and how much warm air was escaping!) once you have these items installed.
- Always make sure you’ve had maintenance performed regularly on your HVAC system. You should be changing your furnace filters at least once every three months in the Spring and Fall, and once per month during the heavy-use seasons of Winter and Summer. A dirty filter is going to slow down air flow, making the system work harder to supply warmth – and costing you a lot more in the process. You also should have a professional from Cool Air Sam come for an annual inspection in the Spring and Fall to make sure everything is tuned-up and in ideal, efficient working order.
- Be sure to install a programmable thermostat! This is a tip too many people don’t think too much about. You can schedule it to lower the home’s temperature automatically when you are away or asleep, and it can turn back up when you will be returning home or waking up. There are several models and brands of thermostats available, including new Smart thermostats, which allow you to change settings from anywhere with the Internet.
- Let the sunshine in! Even though temperatures outside are drastically cooler than they are in the Summer, that doesn’t mean the sun has taken a hiatus. Open your curtains and blinds during the day to let sunlight naturally heat your home; by doing this, you could save anywhere from 2-12% on your heating bills!
- If you happen to be in the market for a new appliance, whether it’s a furnace, air conditioner, refrigerator, or dishwasher (or any other large appliance), be sure to buy one(s) with the ENERGY STAR label. By replacing old, inefficient machines with new energy efficient ones, you can save up to 30% on your bills.
For more tips, recommendations and help lowering your heating costs this Winter, contact your professionals at Cool Air Sam today! We serve Katy, Houston, Cinco Ranch, and all surrounding areas.